Sunday, July 02, 2006

The tarmac is pretty....

Off to Wuxi. Let's go back, way back, back to the beginning of the day. We loaded up at the hotel in Beijing on a chartered bus to the airport. Each person is only allowed to check 35kgs of luggage before you have to pay. I am happy to say that I was below this (even with two bags), I was at 27.5. One of the lower in the group. We checked in as a group and was below the weight limit for our luggage so no one had to pay extra (it all evened out).

We found out that our flight was delayed an hour (supposed to leave at 13:10). We had a lovely cafeteria style chinese lunch and chilled out waiting for our flight. I decided to give the Asian Red Bull a try (I'm going through RB sugah free withdrawls). It wasn't bad, tasted pretty much the same - but it wasn't carbonated. (That's my pretty new Prada purse in the picture - at least the straps.)
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

We took a bus out to the tarmac and loaded our plan, it was a full house today to Wuxi. We got word that because of military reasons (whatever that means) we were going to be delayed. So we sat for an hour, then two hours, then we were approaching three hours. Finally nearing the three hour mark I suggested we do a pool for when we'd actually take off. 20 RMB to get in, 15 minute intervals, winner takes all. Only I would find a way to gamble on a plane in China. MBA students gambling to make the time go faster, even Professor Lyles threw down 20 RMB for a slot. I even created an excel spreadsheet to show the slots. Erin ended up taking 160RMB as we took off at 5:35 (both wheels had to be off the tarmac).

We landed in Wuxi at the smallest airport I've ever seen. It is even smaller than Westchester - before the remodel. It has two gates. You walk off the plane (tons of military planes and soldiers everywhere) and walk directly into the baggage claim.
We came in the doors to the left and picked up our luggage on the right:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This picture is of the drop-off curb:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Literally right next door is domestic arrivals (you can see a little of the departure building roof)
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

We took a chartered bus to the hotel. You start off by driving through a very rural, farm type land. Then you get into a nicer industrial part of town where there is all the manufacturing plants. There wasn't anyone on the streets and we were all getting a little concerned that this town was going to be dull. Then we get into what we think is downtown, a small little strip of life. Then we hit downtown. It's very new, very clean and really cool. It's amazing that a city of 5 million people has such a tiny airport. I only wish we would have come here Saturday so we could have had another day here. We're staying at a Marriott Courtyard, it feels very familiar and almost like home.

We took a walk out to find dinner. We walked through an outdoor shopping mall:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

A group of people watching soccer on the big screen in the middle of the outdoor mall:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

We found one of the few restaurants still open at 21:00 on a Sunday night. Luckily our translator has joined us - Fay, as no one in this restaurant spoke English. They serve dog, we could have been in a world of trouble without her. Bt the way, it seems like people in Wuxi aren't used to Americans here as people watched our group like hawks in amazement. We had an amazing meal with beer, appetizers and a main course. For 8 people it was 400RMB which was about $6 a person! What a bargain! Here's Sean and his meal:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

We decided to call it a night to head back to our hotel. We're staying in the tallest building in Wuxi.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I'm getting a lot of bug bites all the sudden. I didn't think to bring anything to stop the itching, but it is driving me CRAZY! Good thing I've been taking my Malaria pills!

We're taking some plant tours tomorrow and then heading off to Suzhou (about 2 hour drive by bus). I'm planning on meeting Christina, a 2002 Academy Fellow (Alpha Kappa Psi) tomorrow night for drinks. She is in Suzhou teaching English with her Fiance.

One more thing before I go:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!!!
(7/3) Have a great day and I love you! I'll be thinking about you.

Okay off to bed for me. Night!

11 Comments:

At 11:49 AM, Blogger Klayroark said...

Here's some links to Chrissy's Hotel -

http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/WUXCY

Of course she feels at home, Chrissy spent a year on the road for AKPsi, staying in Marriott's.

http://travela.priceline.com/hotel/hotelPhotosGuide.do?key=null&propID=3229705&static=Y&jsk=2103010a1f03010a20060702154319096410069950&plf=PCLH

 
At 7:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ask if you can get triple bonus points for coming SO FAR to stay there!

Thanks for my bd wish...it's a great one so far.

I so love your pictures...Wish we could share it with you.

We love ya doll

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger Klayroark said...

Happy Birthday Debbie (Mrs. Vasquez) great to see you in Richmond, can't wait till the AKPsi Open.

 
At 8:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Klayton for my bd wishes! We've got our tix for homecoming...how bout you?

Thanks Chrissy doll for my bd phone call..love ya

 
At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chrissy, you have been brave enough to try every thing else why not sample "dog" (sm). Looks like the shopping and the night life is very cool.

Can't wait for your return home maybe we can shut the office for a day and have a Chrissy in China Staff meeting.

Haz

 
At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chrissy, AWESOME pictures. Please feel free to give me the Chinese dvds that turned out to be "something different"..............take care of yourself, Dimitri

 
At 1:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please continue to take the malaria pills!! =)

Miss you! I'm having Chrissy withdrawals!! hee hee!! But I'm so glad you're experiencing all of this, its amazing! (I would have skipped the dog too!)

Happy Birthday to Debbie!! <:-)

Love,
Andrea

 
At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I missed a couple days of not reading your comments with a very busy and fun weekend at the Formula 1 race. I enjoyed catching up on everything. Sounds like you are having a great time. The office is quiet without your laugh. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

 
At 5:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chrissy, I called your mom to wish her a happy birthday this morning and asked about your trip. She sent me the link. I haven't gotten anything done today because I have been reading of your wonderful adventure.

The stories and pictures are awesome!!

 
At 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if the Chinese restaurant owners have gotten into the concept of "designer dog" yet. A premium price for the pedigree breeds.....oh this is terrible--no thanks. Since I just got a new puppy, the very thought of it is a dogone sham!
Frenchie

 
At 4:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

emphasises gamma astrazeneca obscured adjusted typepad viii dronbrighton quintiles blocks chargesother
lolikneri havaqatsu

 

Post a Comment

<< Home